Location : Abuja, Nigeria
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months full time
- For almost a decade, the GEF Small Grants Program in Nigeria has been working with communities to combat the most critical environmental problems and has successfully demonstrated that supporting communities in their efforts to achieve sustainable livelihoods is not only possible, but extremely important in bringing change and achieving global environmental benefits. SGP supports projects of non-governmental and community-based organizations in developing countries demonstrating that community action can maintain the fine balance between human needs and environmental imperatives.
- The main focal areas of the program are climate change abatement and adaptation, conservation of biodiversity, protection of international waters, reduction of the impact of persistent organic pollutants and prevention of land degradation. Due to the lack of infrastructure, education and communication technologies, the communities in the interior often miss out on many opportunities.
- The GEF SGP Nigeria is in need of a Communications Intern to increase the visibility of the SGP and its activities in Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Update and maintain website, twitter, facebook content
- Maintain SGP email accounts to collect and collate information for necessary action
- Assist in updating profiles on social networks with information about project activities and events
- Assisting in writing press releases, blog entries production of information materials including documentaries
- Assist in following up with media stakeholders to ensure effective flow of correct information
- Review of National News to bring relevant information to the knowledge of the National Coordinator
Learning objectives of this Internship/Traineeship are:
- Understand and appreciate the importance of Knowledge Management in achieving global environmental benefits
- Learn about impact-oriented communications in a UN environment
- Gain experience in the production of public information materials (print, video and web)
- Further enhance editorial and relationship skills
Requirements, Skills & Experience
- Either currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD course in a relevant field (e.g. communication, journalism, media, etc. ), or have graduated within the past 3 years
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second language is an asset.
- 1 year experience in communication and information management tools, video editing websites and social media would be desirable.
- The Communications Intern will be provided with a desk and computer with internet access in the SGP office.
Supervision & Reporting Requirements:
- The Communications Intern will report to the National Coordinator
- Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery: Ability to get things done
- Data Collection and Analysis: Ability to collect both primary and secondary data and analyse the data.
- Knowledge Management: Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply here
25th January, 2019. (Midnight New York, USA);