Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months full time
SGP Background and Purpose:
- For almost a decade, the GEF Small Grants Program in Nigeria has been working with communities to combat the most critical environmental problems and has successfully demonstrated that supporting communities in their efforts to achieve sustainable livelihoods is not only possible but extremely important in bringing change and achieving global environmental benefits.
- SGP supports projects of non-governmental and community-based organizations in developing countries demonstrating that community action can maintain the fine balance between human needs and environmental imperatives. The main focal areas of the program are climate change abatement and adaptation, conservation of biodiversity, protection of international waters, reduction of the impact of persistent organic pollutants and prevention of land degradation.
- The GEF SGP Nigeria is in need of a Programme Intern to increase the visibility of the SGP and its activities in Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to day-to-day support to programme/project implementation and ensuring conformity with work-plans and expected results
- Assist the SGP Team in prescreening project concept and project proposals;
- Assist SGP Team in development and amendment of application/ request forms and other management/administrative tools, requirements of the programme and other SGP documents
- Assist in organizing SGP advocacy events, workshops/seminars, round-tables, missions/assignment/task/job for SGP Team and other SGP events/occasions;
- Follow up with SGP grantees to ensure timely submission of progress reports
- Assist in preparation of semi-annual and bi-annual progress reports;
- Support and assist SGP Team as and when needed.
- Review and process payment requests from grantees and vendors after obtaining necessary clearances and authorizations and ensuring payments are effected promptly;
- Create Request for payment, Purchase orders and other finance-related issues in OneUnops
- Prepare and maintain the grant disbursement table and calendar;
- Review financial reports submitted by grantees and advise SGP Team as required;
- Support the drafting of administrative budget proposals;
- Enter, extract, transfer data from OneUnops and SGP database and produce reports as required;
- Provide other financial reports as required.
- Support SGP Team in procurement processes as may be required
- Maintain a filing system and organize files and documentation in good order;
- Prepare background information and documentation, update data relevant to the programme areas and compile background material for SGP office;
- Follow up of travel arrangements and DSA payments for local SGP team and stakeholders.
- Provide logistical and other support to the local SGP team and visiting missions, as required.
Learning objectives of this Internship/Traineeship are:
- Understand the importance of the GEF SGP in achieving global environmental benefits
- Learn about impact-oriented programme management in a UN environment
- Gain experience in administration
Requirements, Skills and Experience
- Either currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD course in a relevant field (e.g. environmental management), or have graduated within the past 3 years
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second language is an asset.
- 1-year experience in programme administration, project implementation, proposal writing or related work would be desirable.
- The Programme Intern will be provided with a desk and computer with internet access in the SGP office.
Supervision & Reporting Requirements:
- The Programme Intern will report to the National Coordinator.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery: Ability to get things done
- Data Collection and Analysis: Ability to collect both primary and secondary data and analyse the data.
- Knowledge Management: Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply here
(Midnight New York, USA); 25th January, 2019.