Job ID: 13-10499
Group/Office: TEG (Technical Excellence Group)
Dept/Unit: FAOGEN – FAO General
Project/Program: A512 – Nigeria CaTSS
Reports To: State team Leader
- The key objective for the intern is to support the Niger State Field Office Team in providing laboratory program activities and profiling laboratory innovations from the field office in reports.
- Under the tutelage of the Laboratory Systems Specialist, the Intern will provide the technical support for the Care And Treatment for Sustained Support (CaTSS) laboratory program in the state in a manner that strategically support the maintenance and uninterrupted delivery of quality HIV/AIDS and TB care and treatment services integrated into the host state health system.
- This technical assistance will be provided in close collaboration with the Government of Nigeria (GoN) at the state, and local government levels in Niger state.
- He/She will assist the Laboratory Systems Specialist in tracking and reporting on optimization of Viral Load and EID (IVT) services, state government’s sustainability efforts, laboratory services integration and accreditation preparedness effort of selected health facilities within Niger State.
- Manage the state-specific database of laboratory activities, including but not limited to QA, EQA/PT, TB, CD4, IVT and Viral Load optimization activities by working closely with both Country and other Field Office technical staff.
- Coordinate sample (sputum, plasma, whole blood, DBS for both IVT and viral load) transportation through the National Integrated Sample Referral Network (NiSRN) from sites without equipment and from sites with unexpected equipment breakdown
- In collaboration with the State Laboratory Quality Management Task Team (SLQMTT), provide support for centralized HIV Rapid Test Quality Improvement Initiative (HIV RTQII), periodic testers’ evaluation, monitor corrective actions, track and document results
- Document key Laboratory activities from Niger State and share with both the State Office and Country Office Laboratory Teams. Liaise with the Country Office in identifying key successes and originating draft success stories for reviews.
- Provide needed technical oversight over the laboratory services-related volunteers attached to supported facilities
- Provide support to facilities on data collection for monthly and quarterly reports and timely submission to Country Office
- Support the State Laboratory Quality Management Task Teams and health facilities on continuous quality improvement (CQI) programs. He/She will attend facility-based QI meetings
- Ensure that all MSH-supported laboratories carry out quality assurance functions, including but not limited to IQA, EQA and PT activities, and the availability of quality documents and records.
- Support facilities to ensure that laboratories implement GoN-approved diagnostic protocols, quality control procedures, significant biosafety, and biosecurity practices.
- Ensure equipment maintenance and the availability of laboratory reagents and consumables to minimizes service interruption for all investigations.
- Establish strong collaboration with the Laboratory Directorate in the SMOH, State Hospital Management Board/Bureau for increased state government ownership and funding for laboratory system improvements that lead to sustainability.
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the STL.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of B.MLS/B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science with at least one-year post internship experiences including HIV, tuberculosis and other opportunistic infections testing and laboratory monitoring of clinical status of people living with HIV/AIDS.
- He/She will have the basic knowledge of HIV/AIDS prevention and good laboratory practices in Nigeria
- Registered with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN), and licensed to practice in Nigeria.
- Familiarity with local and WHO/AFRO Accreditation process is a plus.
- Organized, objective-oriented, methodical individual with strong motivation for service, with the zeal to learn.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision with good computer and analytical skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, flexible and open to extra working hours if necessary.
- Good communication skills and ability to express views and ideas clearly.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply here
8th February, 2019.
Do you know? MyFirstJobNG can position you for this opportunity by enhancing your CV and Cover letter. If interested, send a mail to email@example.com